Digital Publishing Services, an initiative of KU Libraries, provides publishing services that increase the impact and visibility of the high-quality research of KU faculty, staff and students. Our online open access publishing model follows best practices and standards that are designed to increase the reach and impact of the research, as well as providing long-term stewardship of the material after publication. In order to facilitate broad participation by the KU community in open access publishing, all of our services are offered free of charge.
We help KU faculty, staff and students turn their scholarship into high-quality open access publications and publish them online in a variety of formats:
- Conference proceedings
- Working papers and technical reports
- Departmental research publications
KU Libraries Digital Publishing Services provides the following services:
- Support KU editors in starting peer-reviewed online open access journals, including advice on best practices for publishing and promotion of a new journal, and technical support for the publication software. Editors agree to follow the Principles of transparency and best practice in scholarly publishing, including those outlined in the Publication ethics and related editorial policies, Peer Review and Advertising sections of the Principles. Editors of medical journals agree to require authors to follow the Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly work in Medical Journals (ICMJE).
- Help KU editors to transition commercially-published journals to an open access publication model, including the hosting of previously-published issues and articles
- Consult with KU editors about publishing best practices
- Provide layout services to format scholarship for publication on our Journals@KU or KU ScholarWorks platforms
- Assist KU faculty, staff and students in publishing open access books, conference proceedings and white papers
- Generate and register DOIs for publications
- Assist journals in applying for registration in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Upload journal content to DOAJ for those journals that are registered.
- Advise members of the KU community about the benefits of using an Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID) for their publications
- Help KU scholars explore new and emerging publishing models
- Monitor and address campus concerns and questions about electronic publishing
- Maintain the KUEDITORS-L online discussion list for all KU editors
- Periodically host KU Editors’ Forums open to all KU editors
All services are offered free of charge by KU Libraries Digital Publishing Services.
If you have any questions about our program or if you'd like to join our KU Editors group, please contact Marianne Reed, Digital Publishing & Repository Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Publishing Systems & Services
We support a variety of software platforms to publish content in different formats, and can assist with moving traditional print journal and monograph content to an online environment, as well as with publishing "born-digital" scholarship designed specifically for online publication. We also offer tools to help manage and streamline the production and editorial work involved in producing scholarly journals.
KU ScholarWorks is a digital repository for scholarly work created by the faculty, staff and students of the University of Kansas. KU ScholarWorks makes important research available to a wider audience and helps assure its long-term preservation.
Journals@KU supports the publication of scholarly journals online, and assists journal editors with the management, editorial work, and production work involved in producing scholarly journals. Our online guide, Resources for Editors of Scholarly Journals, is a good starting point for those who are considering starting a journal or who are looking for information about managing an existing journal. Our journal services are built on the Open Journal Systems (OJS) journal management software designed to facilitate online peer-reviewed publishing.
Journals and Serials
- A list of the 50+ journals published by KU Libraries Digital Publishing Services is available on the Journals@KU page.
- KU-phoria! A collection of stories about KU traditions, KU Info and KU basketball
- Recovering Untold Stories: An Enduring Legacy of the Brown v. Board of Education Decision
- Gripped by the Drum: The Inspiring Artistry of Master Percussionist Kim Byeong Seop in the Korean Tradition of Nongak
- Proceedings of the 3rd World Summit on Exploring the Dark Side of the Universe (EDSU2020): March 9-13, 2020, Guadeloupe Islands
- The Way of Humanity: Confucian Wisdom for an Opening World (Teachings of the Korean Philosopher, Haengchon)
- Rooted in Strengths: Celebrating the Strengths Perspective in Social Work
- The Peoples and Languages of Roatán
- Proceedings: Workshop on Forward Physics and QCD at the LHC, the Future Electron Ion Collider, and Cosmic Ray Physics
- Yamni Balram (Welcome!): A Miskitu Grammar and Workbook
- "Romani Language Dictionaries: (1755-2019): An Annotated Critical Bibliography
- The Status and Distribution of Birds in Missouri, 2nd edition
- Biographical Dictionary of Kansas Artists
- Cartobibliography of Maps in 18th Century British and American Geographical Works
- The French Presence in Kansas 1673-1854
- Greetings from the Teklimakan: A Handbook of Modern Uyghur
- Jesuatti Book of Remedies
- Pontificalia: A Repertory of Latin Manuscript Pontificals and Benedictionals
- Rapan lifeways : society and history on a Polynesian island
- Rudimenta Grammatices by Niccolo Perotti
- Tajik Persian: Readings in History, Culture and Society