The University of Kansas Libraries
Instructions for exporting citations from Readex databases to EndNote
An overview of how to export from most Readex databases to EndNote.
Readex databases offer differing levels of export-ability, summarized below:
Serial Set Maps
(To manually add citations, see Manually adding citations to EndNote)
Single or Multiple Citation, Text-based Export:
African American newspapers, 1827-1998
America's Historical Newspapers - Kansas Newspapers
World Newspaper Archive
(Follow the instructions below for multiple export, then see Importing with Endnote Tags for dealing with text-based export.)
Single Citation Only, Automatic Export:
American State Papers
Early American Imprints, Series 1
Early American Imprints, Series 2
United States Congressional Serial Set
Single or Multiple Automatic Export
Foreign Broadcast Information Service Daily Reports 1964-1996
Automatic Export Instructions
- Conduct your search.
- To export multiple citations, check the Add to My Collection box on the lower right of each listing. When finished, click View My Collection from the top.
- In the next screen, click Export Citations. The citations will automatically export to EndNote.
- To export single citations instead, simply open the citation you wish to export and click Export Citation from the top menu.
Some browsers may ask you to choose a helper application.
- Check Open with then click Browse.
- This will open a second box (the Choose Helper Application box). Select EndNote.
- Click OK to both boxes when finished.
- You can also check Do this automatically for files like this from now on, to save time in the future.
If citations fail to export, also check for pop-up blockers (which may appear as a banner notice along the top or bottom of your screen). Citation also will not export if you have a reference open in EndNote. (To be sure you do not have a reference open, in EndNote, click on All References.)