The University of Kansas Libraries
Instructions for exporting citations from Literature Online to EndNote
The first time you use Literature Online, you will probably need to install a special filter before you can export citations to EndNote. Using BREPOLiS as an example, instructions follow below for acquiring and installing the filter, then for exporting citations from Literature Online.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to challenges with the Literature Online filter described below, you may prefer instead to use a mirror version of this database (see MLA International Bibliography) offered by ProQuest. Export instructions for the ProQuest version are available here.
Instructions for Getting and Installing a Filter
- Before you begin, it will be useful to download and install the filter if you haven't already. (You can come back to this step later, though, if you prefer). Get the Literature Online filter here.
- In the pop-up Opening (FilterName).enf box, make sure the Open with box is set to EndNote X6 (as below) then click OK.
- The filter will open in EndNote. (If it doesn't, check first for messages about pop-up blockers then try the download again.) From the main EndNote menu, click File then Save as.
- In the Save as box, remove the word Copy, then click Save.
Instructions for Exporting Citations
- Choose by checking the boxes for which you plan to export citations then click Marked List near the top of the screen.
- In the Marked List screen, click the text or criticism subheadings for which you have saved citations (Poetry, in this example), then click Download Citations.
- From the Download options, choose Export directly to ProCite, EndNote or Reference Manager.
- From the pop-up Choose An Import Filter box, select Literature Online then click Choose. The export should complete automatically from this point.
Some browsers may ask you to choose a helper application.
- Check Open with then click Browse.
- This will open a second box (the Choose Helper Application box). Select EndNote.
- Click OK to both boxes when finished.
- You can also check Do this automatically for files like this from now on, to save time in the future.
If citations fail to export, also check for pop-up blockers (which may appear as a banner notice along the top or bottom of your screen). Citation also will not export if you have a reference open in EndNote. (To be sure you do not have a reference open, in EndNote, click on All References.)