The University of Kansas Libraries
Instructions for exporting citations from Database databases to EndNote
A sample search gives an overview of how to export to EndNote from some Gale databases including Eighteenth Century Collections, GreenR and Literature Resource Center.
- Conduct your search.
- Check the boxes to the left of the articles for which you plan to export citations, then click Marked Items from the top menu.
- In the Marked Items screen, click the Citation icon, which appears as a gray box with the letters Ci, although it is not always in the upper right-hand corner as illustrated below.
- In the Generate a Citation screen, select EndNote under the option Export to third party software, then click Export to complete the process.
A close-up of the citation icon
Some browsers may ask you to choose a helper application.
- Check Open with then click Browse.
- This will open a second box (the Choose Helper Application box). Select EndNote.
- Click OK to both boxes when finished.
- You can also check Do this automatically for files like this from now on, to save time in the future.
If citations fail to export, also check for pop-up blockers (which may appear as a banner notice along the top or bottom of your screen). Citation also will not export if you have a reference open in EndNote. (To be sure you do not have a reference open, in EndNote, click on All References.)