The University of Kansas Libraries
Instructions for exporting citations from Gale/Cengage databases to EndNote
A sample search using Academic OneFile gives an overview of how to export from several Gale/Cengage databases to EndNote.
Databases include Academic OneFile, Computer Database, Educators Reference Complete, Expanded Academic ASAP, GeneralOneFile, Informe, InfoTrac Newsstand and LegalTrac.
- Conduct your search.
- Check the boxes to the left of the items for which you will export citations. When you've collected everything, click View All. Note: Some Gale databases will not allow you to export multiple citations. For these, open the article for which you plan to export the citation and skip to Step 3, below.
- From the next screen, click Citation Tools.
- Finally, check the radio box for EndNote under the heading Export to third party software, then click Export.
Some browsers may ask you to choose a helper application.
- Check Open with then click Browse.
- This will open a second box (the Choose Helper Application box). Select EndNote.
- Click OK to both boxes when finished.
- You can also check Do this automatically for files like this from now on, to save time in the future.
If citations fail to export, also check for pop-up blockers (which may appear as a banner notice along the top or bottom of your screen). Citation also will not export if you have a reference open in EndNote. (To be sure you do not have a reference open, in EndNote, click on All References.)