The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries: Strategic Directions 2012-2017
Goal 3: Strengthen KU Libraries' position as an agile, responsive organization capable of continual improvement and change.
KU Libraries seek to cultivate a culture that supports innovative projects and new ideas, builds existing and potential strengths, skills and talents and rewards creativity and risk-taking. Our library staff and faculty are an enthusiastic group of talented and responsive partners in teaching, research and learning. By providing opportunities and resources to enhance skills through professional development and cross-training, we help ensure an environment where innovation, creativity, empowerment, strong decision-making and adaptability are all standard practice. Staff and faculty development, combined with effective, integrated communications and well-defined inter-departmental collaborations, will help ensure that we are successful.
- Recruitment, re-alignment and retention of excellent staff to maximize organizational effectiveness.
- Staff are supported and encouraged to build their skills, talents, strengths and interests in roles that effectively align with the Libraries' current and emerging priorities.
- Staff perform in a culture of trust in which they adapt successfully to changes within the organization.
- Infrastructure supporting library staff and faculty that allows for agility and success.
Strategies and Actions
Key metrics by which we will gauge progress:
- Percentage of personnel needs filled by realignment and retraining of existing staff (Outcome 1)
- Assessment of all searches and their adherence to Hiring for Excellence practices (Outcome 1)
- Number of staff participating in training related to group process improvement (Outcome 1)
- Number of Individual Development Plans (IDPs) created (Outcome 1 & 2)
- Number of teams formed using strengths and skill-based selection (Outcome 2)
- Number of staff engaging in leadership training opportunities (Outcome 2 & 3)
- Team and committee evaluations and reports demonstrating enhanced process and workflow (Outcome 3)
- Usability testing and usage statistics to gauge functionality of Intranet and other information management tools (Outcome 4)