The University of Kansas Libraries
Mission, Vision and Values
The University of Kansas Libraries are dynamic partners and campus leaders in advancing inquiry and learning for KU, for the state of Kansas, and for an ever expanding community of world scholars. We acquire, organize, disseminate, and preserve scholarship in traditional and digital forms; we develop and deliver our resources and services through innovative means to enhance research and teaching; and we help students become information literate, technologically sophisticated and globally aware.
As we advance into the 21st century, the KU Libraries stand firmly at the crossroads of people and ideas. Our staff, our services, our collections, and our buildings will evolve to serve each new generation of students and faculty. We are committed to listening and to responding innovatively to change in our role as the foundation for discovery and learning at the University of Kansas.
- Leadership – We lead as visionary and expert partners to the University and as scholars in librarianship.
- Trust – We speak with openness and accountability. We keep our promises.
- Collaboration – We value the knowledge, experience, and skills of others and bring together the best minds to pursue creative action.
- Agility – We balance our deep knowledge of professional standards, principles, and best practices with minds open to possibility.
- Innovation – We analyze our environment, anticipate our users’ needs, and take appropriate risks to improve our services.
- Diversity – We value and encourage ideas and contributions from all perspectives.
- Expertise – We learn continuously and re-invest the dividends of learning in our university and our profession.
- Service – We strive always to provide the very best ideas, people, facilities, technologies, and support to our students, our faculty, our state, and the global community of scholars.