The University of Kansas Libraries
Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly
Committee on Planning and ResourcesJoint Committee with KU LibrariesSupport Staff (KULSS)
188.8.131.52 The Committee on Planning and Resources, in consultation with library administration, Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly Executive Committee and Library Support Staff Executive Board, and library staff, shall examine general priorities in the distribution of resources and participate in planning budget and human resource activities within the Libraries. In addition, the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly Executive Committee and the Library Support Staff Executive Board shall jointly issue other charges as needed. The Committee shall make recommendations concerning these priorities, issues and activities, as appropriate, to the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly Executive Committee and the Library Support Staff Executive Board.
184.108.40.206 The Committee on Planning and Resources shall be composed of three members from the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly, appointed by the Executive Committee, three members from the Library Support Staff, and the Libraries’ Assistant to the Dean, Fiscal Services (ex officio) and Human Resources Director (ex officio).
220.127.116.11 The Committee members shall serve two-year overlapping terms and shall select a presiding officer and a recording secretary.
Special Charges 2011-2012
1. This committee is coming of hiatus and thus lacks continuing members. The new committee members are to decide who will service one year appointments and who will be serving on the committee for two years. See the Code and Bylaws for LFPA and KULSS for additional information about the overlapping appointments.
2. Schedule and/or promote a Budget report from Shannon or Lorraine during a fall semester All-Staff Meeting.
3. Share information with and be an advisory body to the Office of Communications and Advancement concerning campaign priorities and objectives.
4. Quarterly review and note progress updates in the Internal Plan
5. Produce and update a formal prioritized list of big dollar resource needs as recommendations for LFPA and KULSS Executive Committees to present to the Dean’s Exec Council on an as requested basis. The process should follow a similar process used to collect ideas for the Parent Campaign and include staff input. Note: Parent Campaign funds currently go to the Learning Studio and will do the same for at least this year and next.
Special Charge 2010-2011
Committee on hiatus
Special Charges 2009-2010
1. Monitor the progress and prepare a report at the end of the year indicating progress on library administration’s strategic initiatives or identified priorities for the year. Once the initiatives are made public to the libraries at the beginning of the fall semester, commence a review on progress made in various departments or the diverse services to meet the requirements of the initiatives or priorities. Consult with the Library Assessment Officer, Beth Warner as needed. Report back to Dean of Libraries, KULSS Exec and LFPA Exec on findings of the review. In the committee’s annual report, review the process itself and comment on the utility of this particular special charge.
2. In collaboration with the Dean of Libraries, make a call for suggestions, evaluate, and make recommendations on how to allocate the Parents’ Campaign funds for the KU Libraries.
3. Continue to offer orientations to new library staff in support of standing charges.
4. Investigate utility of developing a calendar of library-wide professional development activities and recommend a means for keeping library staff informed and updated on professional development activities in the library.
5. Review your webpage on the LFPA’s site—consider rewording the descriptive text or adding a paragraph summarizing the committee’s purpose if one does not exist right now. The website is the way this committee communicates out to LFPA. Also review links to annual reports, minutes, membership and provide suggested links and updates to the Secretary of LFPA Executive Committee.
Special Charge 2008-2009
1. Act as an advisory committee on human resource development to the Human Resources Officer.”
Special Charges 2007-2008
1. The Committee shall produce minutes of all meetings within two weeks of a meeting taking place and will send those minutes to the LFA Exec Secretary (Jon Giullian) for posting on the LFA Web site.
2. Monitor library administration's progress towards development of an orientation program for library staff. Prepare a brief report for LFA Exec, no later than November 1, 2007, on the progress.
3. Act as an advisory committee on staff development to the Libraries HR Officer.
4. In conjunction with the Dean of Libraries, place a call for, evaluate, and make recommendations on how to allocate the Parents' Campaign funds for the Libraries.
5. Study standing charge 18.104.22.168 by reviewing the work completed by the FY2007 Committee to determine if the Committee charge and Committee name accurately reflect the goals of LFA and KULSS. Prepare a report for LFA Exec no later than February 1, 2008.
Special Charges 2006-2007 (revised)
1. The Committee will produce minutes of all meetings within two weeks of a meeting taking place and will send those minutes to LFA Exec Secretary, Brian Rosenblum (insert KULSS secretary too?), so that he may publish them on the LFA Web site.
2. The Committe will put out a call for, evaluate, and make recommendations of proposals on how to allocate the Parent Campaign monies that have been earmarked for the Libraries.
3. Study standing charge 22.214.171.124 by consulting with the new Dean and the standing charges and activities of the University Governance Committee on Planning and Resources to determine if the charge and the name of the committee needs to change to be more reflective of the goals of LFA and KULSS. Report committee findings to LFA Exec and KULSS Exec by the end of February 2007.
4. Until a staff development program is developed, PRC will act as an advisory committee to the Library Human Resources Officer. Plan 2-3 (or more, if time allows) staff development programs during FY07.
5. The Commitee will work with the Library Human Resources Officer to develop a general library staff orientation program.
Special Charges 2005-2006
1. Please be sure the Committee produces minutes of all meetings, and publishes those minutes on the Web in a timely fashion. The minutes only need approval by the originating Committee; approval by the LFA Executive Committee is not necessary. An electronic copy of the minutes should go to the secretary of the LFA Executive Committee. Please use a standardized naming convention, such as the abbreviated name of the committee and the date of the meeting. (For example, notes of the LFA Executive Committee for July 11, 2005, would be named “LFAEXEC071105.DOC.”) The secretary will ensure that a copy goes to the University Archives. (For 2005-2006 the secretary is Keith Russell.)
2. As last year, please provide input and advice to the Dean of Libraries when the annual budget document is being prepared.
3. Please plan and present an open meeting for Libraries faculty and staff on the Libraries budget, its structure, and the budgeting process.