The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
KU Library Support Staff (KULSS) Exec
Thursday, Feb. 23rd, 2006
Watson Conf Rm B– 10am-11:30am
PRESENT: Monica Claassen-Wilson (FY06 Chair), Rebecca Claassen (FY06 Vice-Chair), Angie Rathmel (Secretary), Jill Becker (Group 3), Kevin Fussell (Group 2), Denise Swartz (Group 1), Robert Szabo (Group 4)
Approval of Feb. 9th, 2005 Meeting Minutes
Approval of Feb. 9th, 2005 Meeting Action Items
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Group Reps: ongoing - Solicit input/ questions for the Dean candidate visits.
2. Kevin & Angie: Friday - Develop flyer for mailing re: Ola meeting. DONE
3. Angie: Monday - Forward comments re: InfoMatters to Monica to send to Allison Rose Lopez. DONE
4. Monica: Upon above - Send InfoMatters comments on behalf of KULSS to editor Allison Rose Lopez. Pending comments today
Orientation Committee (Monica for Donna Brewer)
Donna reports the progress on this committee is still in the works. We should hear more soon. If not by next Dean/HR Officer meeting will ask again and specifically why the members of this committee who were invited to serve have not yet been involved.
Dean Search Committee (Robert, KULSS rep)
Review of applications completed and list of candidates was submitted to Vice Provost Stephens. There was a large pool of applicants and it was felt the ones submitted to Vice Provost were strong candidates.
Planning/Rescheduling Meeting with Ola Faucher, HR
Monica will send a reminder email (to kulib-l, not just kulcc-l) as the date draws near. Have already sent correction email asking staff to post the sent flyers with the date marked out and corrected to March 23rd.
Potential Charge from Donna Brewer, HR Officer
Information Technology Dept.’s Kathy Moore has been doing “random acts of kindness”
Donna thought it was a good idea for the libraries. She wonders how we can have recognition of staff
besides measured merit and awards and how can we promote this without just Admin just forcing on people.
Hopes to enlist the informal leaders of support staff. Perhaps have an actual kickoff with posters,
staff meetings? Want to do a limited time “campaign”.
o KULSS Exec feels it will be more effective from higher up and if from staff, then just subtly, without a big kickoff, campaign. Moreover, we also feel it diverts attention from more important objectives to pursue (Staff Development, Orientation Committee, etc.)
o KULSS-Exec will have a focus group at next meeting ( all asked to bring a friend)
InfoMatters – More comments/concerns?
o Donna will send updates on 2006 new hires, hopefully in near future.
o Regarding the “open mike” portion of the 1st issue of Info Matters. Add this to the focus group agenda at next meeting.
o Monica will send feedback formulated by Angie (below) on to Allison.
1) From the assessment focus groups conducted by Bill Myers, Library folks expressed the need for improving specific internal library communication. The way InfoMatters appears so far is that whatever content is submitted, I assume, Allison and staff, picks and chooses what is put in that issue. However, when content was submitted for the Libraries' FYI newsletter, it was expected to be in the next FYI. I don't get the sense that the format of this newsletter allows for that yet. Perhaps having sections for each division of IS (Libraries, IT, NTS, etc.) for such updates, comings and goings, etc. Like a newspaper has Arts, Sports, and Business sections. Then, if content is submitted like a special article or like Tami's cartoon it could go in a more general section of the newsletter. Or perhaps when content is submitted it could be specified for either the specific section or general content.
2) I know that Vice Provost Stephen's is still working on the IS vision and from the last InfoMatters newsletter she mentioned beginning the conversation of how we work together to make that I reality. I think for "IS-wide" to work, then an important piece of that has to be equal representation over strict centralization. I think having library (and other divisions of IS) representation on the editorial board would be helpful, especially in light of the first comment.
3) Also, perhaps have a separate email account for InfoMatters (email@example.com) where content can be sent, instead of to a single person. Or still have someone in the libraries (and other division of IS) who submits content on their behalf.
4) If not (related to the above), then "Get to know the editor"/"Letter from the editor" so people can put a face with the name/address they are submitting content to.
5) To be picky, there were some errors in spelling of InfoMatters no. 2 ("In the next issue…” section: IS Govenance Structure) and Tyra Grant's name was under Darrell McNamara's photo. Maybe a "corrections" section should be added.
6) QUESTION about IS governance structure to be in next issue, will KULSS be part of this?
7) QUESTION about the Administrative Organizational Chart. Under the Libraries, why is Technical Services/Cataloging grouped together and then Cataloging listed again below it? Shouldn't it just be Technical Services as the larger entity and each department (including Cataloging) listed below?Group Reports
§ Kent solicited a proposal from Commercial Floorworks to install carpeting in the second floor hallway and room 225. He hasn’t approved this plan yet, awaiting cost information, hope to move ahead with this plan and implement it in early April.
§ changing the book return to be same color as the rest of the desk.
§ Campus mail moving over in March, fitting in mail room.
§ Scott Walter’s office built, plans to move in Spring Break.
§ Richard Fyffe’s office will now be a mini-conference room
§ Tami Albin will be changing to an office on 4th floor
Agenda items for Dean/HR Officer meeting (Mar 22)
Tabled to next meeting.
Action Items for next meeting:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
All: Next Meeting - Bring a friend for focus group (meeting is in Anschutz Rm 410)
Group Reps: Ongoing - Solicit input/questions for Dean Candidate visits.
Monica: Mon. 2/27/06 - Send InfoMatters comments on behalf of KULSS to editor Allison Rose Lopez.
Robert: Next meeting - Inquire with IT staff re: “random acts of kindness”
The next meeting of KULSS-Exec will be March 9th, 2005 in Anschutz Rm 410, 10:00-11:30am