The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Nov 16th, 2004
Anschutz Rm 419 – 1:00-2:30
PRESENT: Mary Ann Baker (Classified Senate), Ela Choromanska (Guest), Eleanora Drury (Guest), Becca Claassen (Guest), Monica Claassen-Wilson (Vice-Chair), Kevin Fussell (Grp 2), Angie Rathmel (Secretary), Mike Rusche (Classified Senate), Denise Swartz (Grp 3), Robert Szabo (Grp 4)
ABSENT: Laura Horne (Chair)
Approval of Minutes
Minutes from Nov. 2 were approved with the edit to remove the issue of Group Rep reorganization from the parking lot.
Previous Meetings Action Items
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Laura 11/2 Email Robert re: Ela for PC J
2. Laura 11/5 Ask Mary Ann to clarify supervisor documentation in CSPC discussion J
3. Laura 11/16 Format Group 1 rep ballot and send to Monica J
4. Laura 11/16 Send informal thanks to Becca and Eleanora for volunteering for CCEB/CCPC K we did at the meeting
Staff Development Committee (SDC)
Report from Jeff McAdams (on behalf of):
We still need another classified staff member to join. They can join at anytime and we will appreciate what they can bring to our committee.
We have several new members from the IS community: Kalletta Ebbs, Fiscal analyst in Networking and Telecommunications; Debbi Kramer, Associate Director in Printing Services; Kari Balthazor, Administrative Assistant, Information Services; Sarah Kanning, Outreach Coordinator for IS. (December 2nd will be our first meeting as a complete group - sans the missing cc member, of course).
Jill Glaser has been working with us to create an online events calendar that will display all of the programs and events related to staff development in chronological order. This will resemble a blog format. An early version is available through the SDC web site (http://www2.lib.ku.edu/staff/committees/sdc/) . This will be available soon. We have put a lot of thought into it, and hope it will be helpful for people to know what is coming and how relevant it will be for them.
Upcoming events include "Spongebob in the Workplace" presentation
by Tami Albin, on Nov. 18 (this Thursday) in the Johnson Room in Spencer Library
from 1:30-3:00; and in the planning stages is a presentation by Judith Emde
and Ada Emett entitled "Assessing Information Literacy Skills in the
Real World: The Good, the Bad and the Literate."
We always welcome any comments or suggestions from any of the staff members for ideas we could investigate and develop further.
Classified Conference Personnel Committee (CCPC)
Eleanora Drury has agreed to serve for 2004-05. Ela Choromanska attended our meeting today where we discussed the charges and time factors involved. Angie agree to serve for a transition period. Sheila Orth is also considering, but was unable to attend this meeting. Regarding the Supervisor Evaluation charge, Mary Ann Baker mentioned the national classified staff listserv searchable archives as a potential resource. Regarding the Paraprofessional Workshop charge, Denise mentioned that the Alumni Center hosted this for Continuing Ed and it was very successful and thus, may be a potential resource.
Admin staff of Board of Regents met with HR personnel to get assurance that the move from State’s civil service will not add burden to their work. Kathy Jensen will meet with the Board of Regents on 11/17 to try to get it approved for the legislative docket this year. Concern is that if it is not on the legislative agenda this year, the Classified vote may come in to question. (Updated article 11/18 http://www.ljworld.com/section/kunews/story/187984 )
The classified Senate newsletter will be sent out after 11/17 in order to report on the meeting with the Board of Regents.
Personnel Committee worked on Ola’s FAQs for Disciplinary Processes for Performance Problems and Conduct Problems and is currently reviewing Ola’s updates to the discipline & counseling part of the staff handbook.
SenEx committee met to discuss the student/faculty basketball seating issue, which was said to have been the committee’s fault for not getting the paperwork on time. Documentation contradicts that charge.
Meeting with the Provost, there will not be a building on the south end of
the stadium, though there was a significant donation to this project.
Group I Rep election
Will send out the ballot this Wednesday to be returned by Dec 1st.
Still need to combine membership and executive board. Post meeting Laura mentioned possible links to HR page and special links to certain HR iniatives.
Grp 1 - Retrieval Services
Rachel, Lars and Gaele will provide chair massages for staff and students by Bodyworks during STOP DAY. At Department Meeting, discussed enforcement of policy to keep the main doors to the department locked before 8am and after 5pm. Student wage “over-break-30%-increase” of last year will only be allowed for those working on reshelving this year.
Grp 2 – Cataloging
Marking will be under the cataloging department. Brenda owens will be one. with 2 partime supervisors. All staff meeting 11/17 on “How’re we doing on the Annex?”
Grp 3 – Watson
Rita mentioned would like to be more informed, have the minutes emailed. With the delay in the approval of minutes, it was decided that upon approval, Monica will send a link to the minutes for the Grp reps to send out.
Grp 4 – Anschutz, Spahr, Art, Music
Four Comp Center trainers have moved to Anschutz. Channette and Bayliss to move in December. Student wage task force made up of: Robert Szabo, Jeff McAdams, Shannon Royer, and Sharon Bullard and Bob Marvin met 11/15 to discuss division of 3 tier levels. Will meet again in December. Questions about KU Info’s future since Susan Elkins’ resignation and what will happen to her position.
Agenda items for meeting with Stella and Sharon
The meeting with Stella and Sharon is scheduled for Dec. 2
1) Ask about Access Services and Scott Walter, staff had still not been introduced to him, he has not been to their work area to see what goes on.
2) Ask about the status of the keypad on the main door of Watson.
3) KU Info’s future since Susan Elkins’ resignation and what will happen to her position.
Action Items for next meeting:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Monica 11/17 Mail Grp 1 ballot.
Members would like to learn more about the different kinds of committees (referring to the Code and the Guidelines)