The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Classified Conference Executive Board Meeting
March 24, 2004
Attending: Michael Rusche (vice-chair), Laura Horne (secretary), Monica Claassen-Wilson (group 1 rep), Kevin Fussell (group 2 rep), Denise Swartz (group 3 rep), Mary Ann Baker (group 4 rep), Angela Rathmel (CCPC chair), Rebecca Claassen (guest)
Election & Appointments – Classified Conference will have its election sometime in May, with the appointments coming out in June.
Mike will send the list of candidates for the election to Laura in electronic form. She will update the names for candidates. Please send this information to her.
Committees with members appointed by CCEB – It’s been suggested that the appointees have the dates of appointment time next to each name on the committees’ websites. This will keep CCEB, as well as others, up to date on this information.
General Meeting Items –
1. CCEB will need to decide on GM time. The Dean has suggested late April.
2. The CCEB officers will meet with Sharon Bullard, the new HR Librarian, in order to invite her to the GM. She’ll be asked to give a brief description of her duties, how she envisions her role in the Libraries, and answer questions.
3. Invite either someone from the Classified Senate or Lynn George to explain the new evaluation form draft.
CCEB to have meeting with LFA over Joint Committees- Mike, Mary Ann, and Laura will attend the next LFA meeting (either March 29th or April 5th) to discuss PRC (Planning Resources Committee) and SDC (Staff Development Committee). These CCEB members will give information over this meeting at CCEB’s next meeting.
Meeting with Dean - It has been requested that the questions/comments going to the Dean in the monthly meeting be reviewed by CCEB beforehand.
Also, be clear if the questions being asked are those of CCEB or if they are of a personal nature.
There was discussion over the fact that while the regular meetings agenda
structure is specified in the Code (see below), there’s no such specification
over the meetings with the Dean. Does the group want to consider modifying
the Code to clarify what agenda structure the meetings with the Dean should
have? Or should there just be a policy made about the Executive Board as a
whole setting the agendas for the meetings with the Dean.
Article VII. Meetings
Section 4. Agenda. The officers shall set the agenda for Executive Board meetings. The Executive Board shall set the agenda for general meetings of the Conference.
It’s been requested that these points be brought before the members of CCEB:
1. Please be polite to others.
2. Please don’t interrupt others.
3. Please stay on topic by following the agenda.
4. Avoid discussing rumors and gossip.
Notice for group representatives to re-new the procedure of emailing constituents about any issues they wish to have CCEB address, and to do so before each meeting.
Meeting with Vice Provost over HR Librarian position – The CCEB members who attended this meeting stated that it was very positive. The Vice Provost has stated that any other questions or concerns over this position can be made directly to her. It was also mentioned that the Search Committee for the HR Librarian position will give staff an opportunity for feedback if the temporary hire wishes to apply for the permanent position.
Supervisor evaluation form (draft) – There is interest in CCEB as well as the CCPC to discuss the creation of a form that can be used to evaluate supervisor work performance. The sub-group will consist of: Mike, Monica, Laura, Angela, as well as anyone on CCPC who may be interested. This sub-group will look at the information sent out to CCEB over other institutions’ supervisor evaluation forms.
Group Representative Reports –
Group I - The new LA II, Eleanora Drury, has started working.
Also, there is a new book scanner that will reduce the time scanning takes in ILL. ILL has also taken over the scanning that was being done in Anschutz.
Group II – The Serials unit is working with members of the Cataloging Department on the Spahr/Anschutz Project (engineering titles going to the storage facility in order for Spahr to create an Electronic Commons).
Group III – The new LAII, Kristin Wilson, has started working.
Group IV –. Engineering is preparing titles to be moved to the temporary storage facility and for renovation to have the first floor become an Electronic Commons.
Committee Reports –
Their exhibit is currently on display on the 4th floor of Watson, it is titled “Delving into Diversity: Glimpses of Diversity in Contemporary Issues”, and it should remain up until April 11.
In late April they will have a round table discussion about a few pieces of current news.
May 4-5, Erin Kidwell, Julie Warrick, and Channette Kirby will be going to the National Diversity Convention in Atlanta. Each will go to different breakaway sessions. When they return they plan to present their information at a brownbag lunch.
They are currently looking for 2 new members who would have around 2 hours a week to devote to the committee.