The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
June 16th, 2004
Watson Library room 5A
Attending: Jeff McAdams (chair), Michael Rusche (vice-chair), Laura Horne (secretary), Angela Rathmel (CCPC chair), Rebecca Claassen (group 1 rep), Kevin Fussell (group 2 rep), Denise Swartz (group 3 rep), Mary Ann Baker (group 4 rep), Erin Kidwell ( Diversity Committee Chair)
Previous meeting minutes – The June 8th minutes, along with suggested changes, were approved. They will be mounted onto the CC website by the vice-chair.
Review of previous meeting’s action items – All action items were completed.
Committee Reports –
Diversity Committee - (Erin Kidwell- chair) – The committee has met with Stella and Sharon for FY 2005 goals.
· The committee is wanting to start two programs for minority students (and staff?) at the libraries: an Internship Program and a Residency Program. These programs are from the KSU model that was presented at the Diversity seminar help in Atlanta last month. Library administration approved these two programs. See handouts for details about these programs.
· The committee was able to attain a budget of $1,000 for FY 2005 by library administration to help implement these programs.
Members of the committee are planning a trip to KSU to see first-hand how each program operates.
The Diversity Committee is working on having a presentation (through video) on diversity for all library student staff to view.
The committee is wanting to start a web page which will include a mission statement, information on Diversity Committee programs, and a calendar of events. The committee is currently looking for more members, and a volunteer to be webmaster for their page.
The Diversity Committee is planning a presentation of the information demonstrated at the National Diversity in Libraries conference in Atlanta. The chair will contact SDC to see if there is interest in co-sponsoring this presentation.
Staff Development Committee (SDC) – (Laura Horne) – The committee met last week with Jill Glaser (Libraries webmaster) to consider a blog-based calendar. The calendar will list events open to library faculty and staff throughout campus. This means that SDC will show events other than its sponsored items. There will be links to information and registration forms, when applicable. This calendar is an attempt at an “one-stop-shopping” location to help library employees easily access opportunities for attending events.
Classified Conference Personnel Committee (CCPC) – (Angie Rathmel- chair) – CCPC chair has requested more information on People Admin from the library administration. This is due to library employees concerns and questions over the content and impact of this new service.
CCPC met with Kent Miller to discuss Café Watson, and when it will come to Watson. CCEB asked who was running this café. There was also a question as to whether Spahr will be getting a coffee bar as well. The chair will forward these questions to Kent.
When CCPC next meets with Kent, the discussion will be over the renovation of the staff lounge in Watson, and what level of financing is available for this work.
Classified Senate – (Mary Ann Baker, Mike Rusche – Senators) – Mary Ann and Mike are new Senators. Mary Ann will be on the Personnel Committee and Mike will be on the Legislative Affairs Committee.
Literacy program – There was consideration to cut this program, as there hasn’t been high attendance. There will be a question over Classified Staff’s interest in keeping this program in the next Classified Senate newsletter. For the time being, the program will be moved off campus to the Adult Learning Center operated through the Lawrence Public School system. It is believed that by moving the program off campus, this may improve attendance.
Classified Senate Retreat (July 20th 1-5 pm) – All Senators will be participating in this retreat to help determine the focus of issues for FY 2005. The Senators will send out an email to all Classified Conference representatives in order that the message will be forwarded to all Classified Staff in the libraries. The message will be asking for ideas, comments, or concerns to be brought forward to our Senators to help determine these issues.
SDC proposal from Stella (Jeff to email her our thoughts after
As we try to develop more IS-wide staff development activities, it is necessary to have a committee with broad representation from both the Libraries and IT. Since SDC is a governance committee, we can't just expand it to include IT folks without bylaws changes. I would like to propose, at least for the coming fiscal year, that while SDC continues with its work for the Library, that the Library's SDC members also be appointed as the library reps to a larger IS-wide Staff Development Committee. Does this seem like an OK approach to accomplish what we are trying to do IS-wide without having to deal with bylaws issues at this time? --Stella
Laura Horne informed CCEB the background for this proposal. This suggestion has come up since SDC is working on creating a tracks system for categorizing current events into IS values, as well as administrative changes.
It appears that LFA is in general agreement with this proposal. CCEB has a few questions it would like the library administration to answer before it agrees with the proposal. The Classified Conference executive officers will be having their monthly meeting with the Dean and HR Librarian next week. These questions will be asked at this time. The officers will inform CCEB immediately of the responses in order to make a decision.
Group Representative Reports –
Group I – Serials and Retrieval Services (SRT) will be reorganizing from 22 to 28 library staff members (includes Classified, Unclassified, and Librarians). It appears that there is a possibility that the reorganization is scheduled to be completed by Fall 2004.
Group II – Mike Rusche has moved to the Cataloging Annex (room 240). His work time is now: 60% Cataloging, 35% ILL procedures, 5% serial records (international documents).
Brenda Owens will being moving into the Cataloging Department this Fall. She will bring 4 student workers.
It appears that the KU Libraries are attempting to rent a third temporary storage facility to continue cataloging/processing work on items determined to move to off-site storage.
Dennis Goodyear has announced his resignation effective July 2nd. He and his wife will be moving to Kansas City to pursue other opportunities. Library administration has approved that this LAII position be filled.
Group III – No information to report at this time
Group IV – Spenser Library had the James Joyce Festival last week. Also, hiring has started for the new librarian position at Spencer.
Music Library reported that they were busy with the summer school band students. Also the library was affected by the power outage that occurred last week.
No reports from Anschutz.
The Engineering Library (Spahr) is undergoing renovations to create a digital commons and to add two new entrances to the library’s ground floor. The renovations are scheduled to be completed by this Fall. The electronic commons will be located on the ground floor. This space holds a minimal amount of volumes in order to maximize user space. The work done to prepare certain titles to be moved to storage is done. Currently, the titles are being moved out to the temporary storage facility.
Next meeting’s action items:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1.Laura ASAP Email Rita Wilson (for the FYI) and the libraries classified staff the results of the Classified Conference election.
Agenda Items for Stella and Sharon meeting (June 23rd)
· Discuss with the Dean about the CC website becoming a public site.
· Discuss plans for a replacement of the Preservations Librarian.
· Ask library administration questions over effects of having SDC become a IS-wide committee.
Next meeting will be June 30th, 1:00-2:30, location to be determined.