The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Aug 24, 2004
Music Library Conference / 1:00-2:30 PM
PRESENT: Monica Claassen-Wilson (Grp 1), Kevin Fussell (Grp 2), Laura Horne (Chair), Angie Rathmel (Secretary), Denise Swartz (Grp 3).
ABSENT: Robert Szabo (Grp 4)
Approval of Minutes
Will approve July 27th and Aug 10th minutes at next meeting., as Aug 10th minutes are not completed.
Previous Meeting Action Items
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Laura 8/24/04 Get a thank you card for Mike that the CCEB members can sign DONE: passed around to board
2. Laura 8/24/04 Send out announcement of Mike’s resignation w/ information about special election for Vice-Chair position DONE
3. Laura 8/24/04 Find out if the Vice-Chair becoming the next year’s Chair is from Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised DONE: was not specified. Kevin asked Mary Ann Baker, who reminded that there was a code-change eliminating the “Chair-elect” language. Kevin will follow up with specifics.
Staff Development Committee (SDC)
Not yet met. Annual report is released, but not on web yet as webmaster has been on leave. Jeff McAdams will fill one vacant SDC spot, still need one more. Laura will send email to reps for names. See report below regarding joint charges.
Diversity Committee (DC)
The Diversity Committee will be meeting with Jean Darbyshire (Director of Administrative Services for Hale Library at KSU) at Hale Library near the end of September to begin the process of gathering information for writing the proposal to develop two Minority Librarianship programs (an internship and residency program). We have also found a webmaster so we will be building a website soon, which we will be promoting as a way for people to find out what is going on "diversity-wise" in the library system and all around campus. It will also offer links to websites of minority groups at KU, photos of events, a calendar, the recipe of the week, some history on diversity at KU, and a Powerpoint Presentation on the exhibit we did earlier this year. Although it seems like we've disappeared in regards to events, we've been quite busy and hopefully we'll be getting a series going soon involving movies on diversity and popcorn! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Personnel Committee (PC) nothing to report, see Group III report.
Mike reports (and Mary Ann concurs) the next Newsletter will be coming out this month, the Legislative affairs committee is soliciting responses on the Position Paper, there is a small committee which has been appointed to deal with the matter of all Classified Staff needing to have access to a computer during working hours. The position paper will reflect keeping up with the Alt to Civil Service, though it was left off the draft handed out.
Joint Charges – PRC/SDC
1) LFA Chair emailed the CCEB Chair on August 8th re: Governance special charges to PRC - can we separate out from the other joint charges still under discussion one [Student Wage/Pay Scales] that was req'd by Stella? LFA Exec recommend that Stella appoint a more representative group (than current PRC) to study this since there are practically no student supervisors on PRC. If Stella really wanted PRC to participate then they could work with a group but we felt it was important to recommend that she include student supervisors from various types in a working group with Shannon and Sharon.
After requesting feedback from CCEB members it was agreed that this was a good idea. As to why should we consider this charge before some of the others that we have already discussed, library administration definitely wanted to get this review done and the need for PRC to have enough time to find actual student supervisors (there are none on the PRC) as well as Sharon and Shannon to work with. I think that this is a very important task since there is no real consistent pay scale for students in the different departments (including all of the libraries). Therefore, some students doing the same tasks in different libraries are getting paid differently depending on what the library’s policy is. The administration is wanting a study of all of the different scales and policies to try to come up with 1 policy to ensure fairness.
Further report from Sharon Bullard on this issue is that it came up in a meeting of the Dean's Council when it learned the salaries for students in the Libraries was all over the map, including students coming into the same job in two different buildings and making significantly more in one building than the other. In an effort to attain uniformity, it was decided the issue of student salaries and classifications should be studied. The study was to start with the December 2002 document and evaluate the three ratings, add typical jobs to each level, add evaluate the salaries currently paid to students. She has at this point gathered some information from other academic libraries and is just beginning to poll local businesses, such as fast food resturants, Wal-Mart and UPS to see what they pay part-time help.
2) Regarding joint charges, to PRC of evaluating itself, Judith (in Lars’ absence) and Laura discussed making the language more vague, possibility of ad hoc status. Discussed how information between Administration, LFA, CCEB is not as clear as it could be, though we feel like we are discussing the same things. Will confirm minutes of each group, including minutes from any meetings with Administration, will meet jointly with LFA, and jointly with LFA and Administration.
Also in talks with Judith, Laura reports that perhaps we can agree to try adding IS members and worry about how it affects the organizational structure later. Thus, will not make recommendation for it to evaluate its governance/administrative structure.
Retreat – general discussion of what we want to cover, who should be there, and possible date
Moved to parking lot.
Reps will send out separate ballots that will only have Vice-Chair position names (from those gathered) and a write in. Decided to make note of the code change in communication to potential nominations.
Group 1 (Retrieval Services)
Steve Shartran, retired, was reportedly in the hospital after collapsing at home. Believe that he is back home, but unsure. Making offer to fill LAIII in ILS Borrowing and LAII position posting in ILS Borrowing closed last week. Interviewing for Licensing Specialist position this week. E-reserves are high volume/priority for department now. Furniture for our moving/changes has been ordered.
Group 2 (Cataloging)
LAII in authorities position posting closed last week. Reevaluating LAI position in Special Projects unit. Cataloging in general in running out of LAI work.
Group 3 (Watson)
Janet Revenew wanted an update on CCPC and reports that she has sent Phase I recommendations for staff lounge improvements to Kent. Denise will email her reporting that CCPC is currently NOT meeting and for FY05 will try ad hoc status. The board does have charges for this committee and will get them out as soon as joint charges for PRC and SDC are determined and CCPC members are appointed. Denise will also ask Janet for a copy of the Staff Lounge Phase I recommendation given to Kent.
Group 4 (Anschutz, Spencer, Spahr, Art&Arch, Music)
Agenda Items for meeting with Stella and Sharon.
Will postpone our meeting until after meeting with LFA and will then jointly meet with their representatives and Stella and Sharon.
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1.Kevin Sep 7 meeting Find out in detail about code change re: chair-elect
2. Laura End week Email reps for feedback on SDC recruit
3. Laura End week Sent out to CCEB current membership of PRC
4. Denise Sep 7 meeting Reply to Janet re: CCPC and get copy of Phase I recommendation
5. All ASAP Approve this meetings minutes by email (not at next meeting)
5. Laura As soon as minutes approved Email (with attached minutes) LFA to schedule a joint meeting sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.
Staff training seminar “Paraprofessional Workshop”
Supervisor subgroup – memo, etc.
Members would like to learn more about the different kinds of committees (referring to the Code and the Guidelines)