The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Classified Conference of the KU Libraries
July 9, 2003
Classified Conference Executive Board
Classified Conference Executive Board (CCEB) - Minutes - 2003 July
Guests: Nancy Hawkins, Sue Hewitt
Present: Mary Ann Baker (old Chair. /new Group IV Rep.), Jeff McAdams (new Chair.), Helen Dee (old Vice-Chair.), Mike Rusche (new Vice-Chair.), Kurt Blythe (old/new Secretary), Jesse Bryson (old Group I Rep.), Monica Claassen-Wilson (new Group I Rep.), Kevin Fussell (old/new Group II Rep.), Denise Swartz (new Group III Rep.)
Absent: Janet Revenew (old Group III Rep.), Lynn Koenig (old Group IV Rep.)
· Refreshments were provided to celebrate the changing
of the guard from the old Board to the new Board and to celebrate Kevin's
· Flowers were delivered to Janet to recognize her outstanding service as a Representative, as evidenced by the outpouring of appreciation for her tenure made by her constituents.
· Mary Ann led the meeting in wishing a fond farewell to those members of the old Board not continuing on for another year and in wishing the new Board welcome. Finally, a round of applause was delivered to those members of the old Board continuing on for another tenure.
· Nancy expressed gratitude for the well-wishes she received while ill.
Review of Duties: Mary Ann provided a handout listing the duties of CCEB Officers and Representatives, and led the meeting in a review of those duties, which may be found at the following web address: http://www.lib.ku.edu/staff/committees/cceb/duties.shtml
Webmaster: Mike, new Vice-Chair. of CCEB volunteered to become
the new Webmaster. He will begin in this capacity as soon as LITS is
able to give him access to the CCEB website. http://www.lib.ku.edu/staff/committees/cceb/
Next Meeting of CCEB: The next meeting is set to take place on Wednesday, July 30th, from 2-3:30 pm. Meetings will occur every other week beginning with the next meeting, and every other meeting will be held outside of Watson in one of the satellite Libraries, so the meeting of August 13th will find CCEB somewhere outside of Watson and the meeting of August 27 will have CCEB back in Watson. The Secretary will be responsible for finding meeting spaces that conform to the general time and place set for meetings of CCEB. Since the time of the July 9th meeting, which these minutes record, it has become known that a strict time of 2-3:30 pm, beginning with July 30th, is not going to work for Watson. Alternate times will be chosen and announced.
Agenda for July 28th Meeting w/ the Dean and the Personnel Officer:
Jeff and Mike will attempt to find out about any new state directives,
and they will ask about tuition assistance for courses and the problem
of taking courses in the face of direct supervisor's denial. In addition,
any information on the progress of a new evaluation system, a new time-in/out
system, and external keypads for Watson will be sought.
· Denise will find out if keypads have been ordered.
Appointments for 2003/2004: Kurt has emailed the results of
the Grievance Committee vote to Sandy Gilliland, the Personnel Officer.
List of Appointments Filled and Needing to be Filled:
· Staff Development Committee (SDC): Jane Hoyt, Pamela Bonham, Jan Altenbernd, and Billie Conway are the Classified staff's contribution to SDC.
· CCPC: Brenda Owens has volunteered to join Angie Rathmel, the Chairperson, Bob Marvin and Janet Revenew on CCPC. The minimum number for the committee has been achieved.
§ So, the question remains, should CCEB attempt to add more people?
· Classified Employee of the Year Award (CEYA) Selection Committee: Angie Rathmel, Toni Taylor, and Helen Dee have all agreed to work on the selection committee. Rita Wilson will serve if no one else can be found. Denise Swartz will remind Barb Woodruff that former winners are required to serve on the selection committee.
§ Ideally, CCEB should find one more person to serve, thereby excusing Rita Wilson.
· Planning and Resource Committee (PRC): JoNell Proctor has volunteered to serve alongside the continuing Nancy Hawkins and Sue Hewitt.
Charges for Committees: New charges for 2003/2004 have yet to be decided upon. However, CCEB is considering charging CCPC with looking into making classes considered outside the pale of Library education available to Classified staff. In addition, Kurt will ask CCPC, if it is decided by CCEB to be made a charge, to check into campus-wide clock-in rules. Monica and Denise will review Mary Ann's work on changing the Code from 3 to 4 Classified members, as it pertains to SDC.
Group Representatives Reports: Concerns expressed to the Board regarding the follow-up survey to the Alternative to Civil Service vote were passed on to Sue Hewitt. The survey has been described by concerned constituents to be difficult to understand and possessed of an unclear purpose. Sue reported that the survey is experiencing an approximately 20% rate of return and that its mission is purely for information gathering purposes. Representatives were charged with asking their respective constituents to please return the completed surveys.
Request to Classified Senate to Look into Tuition Assistance for
Internship Hours: See attached Handout: