The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Classified Conference of the KU Libraries
May 15, 2002
5/15/02 Meeting of Stella Bentley, Sandy Gilliland, Jana Borchardt, Mary Ann Baker and Kurt Blythe
§ The Action Plan of two years past has been submitted to the Administration Group for review.
· A past proposal to include in classified job descriptions more time for contributions to activities outside of specific work-related duties was defeated by staff as too extreme.
§ Enthusiasm was expressed for the updating of CCEB's website, with increased navigability and more links being the primary goals.
NEW STAFF ORIENTATION
§ Encouragement followed the proposal of a mentoring program, wherein Group Representatives are mandated to make contact with new staff.
· Fran Devlin has adopted the concept of an Orientation Committee as a research project.
§ This possible initiative has been sent to a committee for review.
· The main impediment to successful implementation is seen as time spent training vs. actual contribution.
§ The publication of a complete and detailed list of committees was discussed
· This list would strive to examine mission and membership in a descriptive way and would be available to all staff.
(The following are dependent upon budget confirmation.)
§ Vacant positions will be dealt with primarily through hiring freezes and rotating faculty.
· No layoffs are expected.
§ The Libraries may receive some amount of enhancement money, possibly from the coming tuition increase.
· The establishment of BARD was discussed in this context.
§ The organization and marketing of all Library collections, in a bid to make the Libraries a focal point of University studying, is viewed as a priority.
· KU publications are the unique materials that the Library needs to specifically make available through our upcoming portal.