The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
KULSS Executive Meeting
Thursday, November 5, 10:30-12:00
Present: Julie Warrick (chair), Kristin Zachrel (secretary), Kyle Sederstrom (Group 1), Adam Reilly (Group 2), Sheila Orth (Group 3), Meredith Huff (Group 4)
Absent: Nancy Hawkins (vice-chair)
Previous Meeting's Action Items
Nancy or Julie, but answered by Meredith
Ask Mary Ann B. about furloughs for staff.
Group 1 (Kyle):
- There were a couple more workshops for Connecting to Collections.
- Doing video editing in Preservation.
- Upcoming workspace shifts in Acquisitions/Serials.
Group 2 (Adam):
- Sue Zhu resigned from Cataloging effective November 5, 2009.
- Webinar on RDA for catalogers to attend. These cataloging rules are supposed to be more flexible with other institutions and other cataloging schema.
- Moving stacks in Anschutz 1 South so the sound archives can be moved here.
- Cataloging had a Halloween party...some people wore costumes.
Group 3 (Sheila):
- Nothing to report.
Group 4 (Meredith):
- Beth Whittaker started at Spencer this week.
- Spencer is still getting painted.
- Some of the laptops are being worked on in Anschutz.
Support Staff Senate:
- Furlough Committee completed its work and sent recommendations to the Provost/Chancellor. The Provost was pleased with the recommendations and would support them with the Chancellor.
- Kansas Board of Regents is asking universities to work harder to have better retention and graduation rates. This is tied into having better admissions standards to work will likely proceed on this also.
- Unclassified Senate hosting a brown bag luncheon with the Provost on November 12; all are invited.
- USS Senate Executive Committee voted to approve amendments to KU's non-discrimination & equal opportunity clauses regarding gender identity & expression.
University Committee on Libraries:
- Membership list: http://www2.ku.edu/~unigov/Libr10mem.shtml
- Chuck Marsh (chair) reviewed this year's charges: http://www2.ku.edu/~unigov/Libr10ch.shtml. Charge #2 (open meetings with KU Library faculty and staff occurred October 28 in Watson and Spencer.
- Dean Haricombe reported the latest versions of the Libraries' mission and vision statements: http://www.lib.ku.edu/mission.shtml
- Library priorities for 2010: Learning Commons (Anschutz), Center for Scholars (Watson), Faculty and Graduate Student Lounge (Watson), implement KU's Open Access Policy. The Dean will host a campus forum to update the KU community on the Libraries on November 3 from 3:30-5:00 in the Kansas Union.
Information Services Development Council (ISDC):
- Technically they are no longer meeting, but the committee still exists. There may be a shift so the committee focuses more specifically on the libraries instead of encompassing all of Information Services.
Planning & Resources Committee (PRC):
- Deadline for the Parent's Campaign proposals is November 6.
- In the next meeting there will be a discussion on the Parent's Campaign requests. So far there have only been 2 requests (1 from Susan Craig for a DVD collection.)
- Sheila Orth inquired about submitting a request to the Parents Campaign to augment the theatre and film collections, specifically CD's and DVD's, because our collection is small so there are many requests through ILL for these materials. Julie advised that a request form needs to be submitted.
- Preservation may have an open house and PRC may assist with this. There are no specifics yet.
- Sue Zhu has resigned so there is an opening on PRC that needs to be filled. Meredith Huff may take her place.
- Nothing to report.
Dean's Council (next: 11/20?):
- Busy working on Strategic Directions.
- Ada Emmett talked about the open access task force.
- Talked with the Sociology and the Slavic departments about a buy in for open access.
- Discussed the Library Faculty & Staff Campaign. Information on this will be released to everyone in February. Essentially it is a campaign to get library employees to donate to the libraries.
- Discussed the budget.
- For more details see the Friday, 10/23/09 (Word document) meeting minutes.
Management Council (next: 11/18):
- There was a general update from the Dean.
- The library has an opportunity to take a leadership role in the chancellor's focus on graduation and retention rates.
- Discussion on Strategic Directions.
- Comments from the LibQual survey are available on the Library Intranet.
- For more details see the Wednesday, 10/21/09 (Word document) meeting minutes.
Dean's KULSS Meeting (next: 12/1):
- Met with Lorraine and Mike. Discussed budget concerns and cost saving measures.
- Discussion of LibQual and the survey comments and how it relates to staff. There will probably be another survey in 2 or 3 years.
- 3 new positions available: Libraries Web Services Coordinator, International Program Assistant, Digital Information Specialist.
- Assessing how to best use resources: creating a new position for a Web Services Coordinator instead of filling the old position.
- Upcoming holiday party: Lorraine would like to aim for the week of December 18th. Work with LFPA and KULSA on family adoptions. Representatives from all groups need to volunteer to set up the party.
Action Items for Next Meeting
Spring conference. Talk about who could be key speakers, perhaps request someone from the University to speak as a more cost effective approach. Think of ideas for the half day event. Talk to the groups to get ideas about what they would like to learn about (ie. technology, motivation, etc.) It should be fun and informative.
(Items to be aware of for the future, not necessarily discussed in current meeting)
- Grievance Committee Task Force / Action on hold