The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
KULSS Executive Meeting
Thursday, July 12, 2012, 10:00-11:30
Art & Architecture Rm. 104
Present: Robert Szabo (former interim chair), Julie Woodrick (Chair), Sharon Riley (Vice-chair), Kristin Zachrel (Secretary), Adam Reilly (Group 1), Laura Skarka (Group 2), Jill Mignacca (Group 3)
Group 1 (Adam):
- Voyager server updates happening at the end of July.
Group 2 (Laura):
- Room 210 will be getting new paint and carpet starting on July 23rd. It is estimated to take about 2 weeks to complete.
- Room 210 will have a potluck next week.
Group 3 (Jill):
- Re-carpeting the 4th floor in advance of new computer workstation furniture being installed.
- New area in 1 North has been re-carpeted in advance of the Librarie's microform collections moving into Anschutz starting next week.
- The Annex is nearly full. They started putting up shelves in the new section. They estimate it will be functional in mid-August.
Support Staff Senate:
- No one in the Libraries contacted Mary Ann about joining the Senate. We can contact any of the Senate representatives for updates.
- Details about getting involved with USS Senate:
- One may need to enter as an at-large member and then move into the appropriate EEO category when there’s an opening.
- USS Senate meetings are usually 1.5 hours once a month and each senator serves on either a USS Senate committee, which may meet for an hour a month or on the University Senate, meetings of which last from either 20 minutes to an hour once a month (fall semester) or twice a month (spring semester). Those are the committee commitments.
There might need to be time for reading materials ahead of time, processing committee or Senate work. It can vary quite a bit. If one is voted to serve on the executive committee of either the USS Senate or the University Senate, that adds the possibility of 1-3 more meetings per month. The USS Senate hasn’t been meeting in the summer but holding a half day retreat to consider committee charges for the coming academic year is usual.
University Committee on Libraries: Nothing to report.
Mentoring Committee: Nothing to report.
LOSCD: Nothing to report.
Dean's KULSS Meeting: Haven't met yet.
Concerns to Bring up to the Dean:
- General meeting
- Lorraine's discussion of Strategic Plan & Org Review at the meeting (how long will she need?)
- Venue: 503A&B?
- Food Budget? Potluck?
- See if Dean encourage attendance.
- Probationary periods
- USS Work Group going away - talk with Mike about what this means for us.
- Julie made a new agenda template and will try to send them out on the Tuesday before our meetings.
- Toasters for the Watson & Anschutz break rooms have been back ordered again.
- Some people are commenting that there's no longer any furniture to take naps on in the Watson break room. We will ask about this.
- General Meeting:
- Duration: 1 hour?
- PowerPoint presentation of accomplishments, goals, new Exec members (Kristin).
- Mention that there will be food in the announcement.
- Send agenda in announcement.
- Do Survey Monkey of interests for staff development activities.
Action Items for Next Meeting
Create PPT for General Meeting.
Find out who PRC rep is for getting meeting updates (carried over from Robert's last action item).
Ask MAB about Senate details.
(Items to be aware of for the future, not necessarily discussed in current meeting)
- HREO EEO Categories
- Work with LFPA to change the language for the Dean's 5-Year Review Committee to include a Support Staff member.
Next Meeting: Thursday, August 2nd, 10:00-11:00 at Watson 503B.