The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Diversity Committee's Minutes Archive
Diversity Committee Meeting Notes – 6/13/05
*Welcome Nikhat, our new committee member “most of the time.” (She prefers the phrase “auditor!”
*Donna shared information about the status of the Residency Program. The signature process is finished with Stella and Beth Warner (in place of Marilu Goodyear) having signed the approval for advertising for the position. Donna thought the advertisement would hit Human Resources as of later in the afternoon. Look for approval and an advertisement soon!
*Nikhat will send Donna some listserv ideas for places to put the ad for our Resident. Some ideas include: the KC Call, local newspapers, and advisors at ESU. If you have any other ideas, please email them to Donna.
*A search committee is being set up to choose our first resident after receiving the applications. There will, most likely, need to be a special training session for these members as this is not a typical search.
*We “brainstormed” for a while for new events. Here are the things
- Continuing the movie series with a new documentary/discussion.
- “Diversity Beans,” a game that Donna’s daughter uses. Donna will find out more about this event.
- A reading group: possibly once a month. Sherry will find articles to read/distribute before the group meets. This will help combine literature and diversity. Group will get together and discuss article.
- Partnering with KSU and working on a breakout session for the next year’s National Diversity in Libraries Conference (the same one where we got the idea for the Resident Program).
- Cultural Feast over Winter Break: Possible partnership with the International Students? Invite Informational Services.
*We decided our next meeting with be at Spencer to begin our “Diversity Committee campus-wide tour.” Sherry will secure a room and email me with the information before our next meeting, which will be Monday, July 11th (due to having July 4th off of work) at 2:00.
*Donna will talk to Stella about discussing diversity issues at our next Convocation.
That’s it! See you all next meeting!