The University of Kansas Libraries
Kansas Residents, Minor Borrowers Under 18 Years Old
The KU Libraries’ collections and services are developed for an adult audience. Please be aware that all library facilities offer open access to a number of electronic resources as well as the Internet. Use of these resources is not monitored by library staff. Parental authorization of a minor’s application for borrowing privileges with the University of Kansas Libraries carries with it the parent’s or guardian’s responsibility for any item borrowed by the minor and for compliance with library policies and procedures.
The following documentation is required for a Minor to apply for a KU Library Borrower Card:
- Completion of the KU Library Borrower Card Application and Parental Authorization Form for Minors.
- Parent or guardian authorization of the minor’s application for borrowing privileges with a notarized signature.
- One of the following: 1) a valid photo ID card for the minor applicant, preferably a state issued driver’s license or photo ID, 2) a parent or guardian in attendance at the time of application with a current photo ID, or 3) the most recently issued school yearbook (no more than a year old) with the photo and name of the applicant.
- Payment of $20.00/year (replacement cards cost $20.00).
- Renewal of the card for another year requires repeating the authentication process.
See Basic Library Services for a description of services available to Kansas residents, minor borrowers under 18 years old. See KU Library Borrower Card for additional information about how to apply for and purchase a card.